Friday, October 19, 2007

Why blog?


In the quest to figure out what my friends are up to, I have been reading their blogs. These friends seem to have such an eloquent and funny way of expressing their thoughts, and I love hearing about what is going on in their very different worlds. Good job, Stewart and Laura! So, I thought I would join the in the fun and tell people about all the things that are going on in the "Latimer World."

I feel like so much has happened this year, but when I talk to my friends and they ask "what are you doing?" or "what's new?" I always reply with the standard answers "nothing new" or "same old stuff, just work." It must seem SO boring! I, however, do not view my life as boring. Let's take today for example, with a little background information to explain:

I am a teacher (high school Biology) and for the past three years I have been blessed with Honors students. The kind of students who soak up every bit of information that is given to them and they can't WAIT to spout it back to you. This year, I have a few general classes, but only one this semester. I have to tell you that I was dreading this class, and they have given me quite a few tough days in this first nine weeks. Today was a different story. I was grading tests this morning, and the first one I graded belonged to a young guy who I'll call "Joe." Joe failed Biology last year, and Joe and I have had a few "come to Jesus" moments in class. During our last one in the hallway, I stopped and listened, REALLY listened to what he was saying. I don't know how many people have really listened to this kid in his 16 years, but I have a feeling that it hasn't been the norm for him. So Joe and I came to an understanding that if he would try and do his work and really make an effort in class, I would listen to him, and give him the benefit of the doubt from now on. Since that day, he has been a different kid. He has been awake every day in class, taking notes, being respectful, and giving me his attention. In turn, I have been encouraging him at each step, even when there has been little or no improvement. Today, his work paid off! I finished grading his test, and he made a B! He has not passed a test yet in my class, and today he made a B! I was so excited to tell him when he got to my classroom today, and the look on his face is worth all of the stress, anger, and frustration that this class has put me through.

Sometimes I wonder why I became a teacher. It is so much work, a truly thankless job. Why do I do it, when most days kids sigh, complain, and roll their eyes when I have high expectations? Today I was reminded again of why God put me in this place. I am truly blessed to be here, and it is in the little things that I realize that this job is worth all of the stress and lost sleep. I thank God for the Joes of the world that remind me why I am here.

Other things I am thankful for today:
1. My wonderful, patient, understanding, selfless husband.
2. My sister-in-law Sandi, who has to be the strongest person I know. She recently had a VERY good CT scan and is improving every day, fighing cancer with beauty, grace, and humor.
3. My dancers, who help fill my mind with endless "girl drama" and give me a sense of pride that is impossible to put into words. I can't wait to watch them perform TWICE today!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mer - Thanks for sharing this story! I got chills reading it! Doesn't it feel good to know that you're making a difference!?!
I'm glad I get to catch up with you in your blog now!
Miss you, Love you!
--Mandy

Anonymous said...

You and Hays are so silly. I forwarded his "they don't have to be changed every time" comment to shane. He thought that was hysterical. Have a great day!
Much love,