Thursday, October 25, 2007

I am going to be an aunt!


Okay, so TECHNICALLY I am not becoming an aunt. But it sure feels like I am. This is Peanut. Peanut is a fetus, belonging to my friend Amanda and her husband Benji. I don't know what sex Peanut is yet, but in my heart I feel like Peanut is female. Alyson, don't fight me on this. If I am wrong, you can say you told me so.

Let me explain why I feel so much like I am becoming an aunt.

I met Amanda in elementary school. As soon as we were in the same 5th grade class, we became inseperable. We even dressed alike, on purpose, and lied to people about it. WE WERE JUST THAT MUCH ALIKE. From 5th grade on we have been friends. But not the kind of friends that call each other up and go do something together every once in a while because you are bored. We were the kind of friends that were so involved in each other's lives that you couldn't do something without the other knowing about it. EVER. It really annoyed our parents, I think.

Amanda had the good fortune to have a sister, but I didn't have a true sister until my brother married Sandi. Amanda was my SISTER, in every sense of the word. We lived together in college, for all but one year out of the five that we were at the same school at the same time. To quote Amanda's wedding toast, "there is nothing in my life that she hasn't been a part of."

Amanda has been there for me through good times and BAD, and through one particular relationship she stood by my side (looking at me like I was stupid most of the time, which I was, but that is neither here nor there), and each time I fell she picked me up over and over again, even though I kept going down further each time.

She has always been my conscience, the angel on my shoulder. The inside voice that I hate to hear when I know I should listen.
When Amanda told me she was pregnant I started crying. I felt so many things at that second that it was the only emotion to come out. I felt so excited,happy, and only about 2% jealous. I also thought about that baby and how much I hope it looks like Amanda and not Benji. Sorry Beej, but I know you hope so too!
So that is why I feel like an aunt.
By the way, in the picture, my neice is sucking her thumb. :)

3 comments:

alyson said...

Hate to tell you, but Peanut is a boy and I love him!

Anonymous said...

I love Peanut too. Except I think her name should be Bug. I think she will be as pretty as Amanda, but tall like Benji. Bet on it.

ml said...

Supermodel! Then she can come and wave her money in front of us when we are all in the same nursing home!