Saturday, October 24, 2009

"Seeing" things in a new way...


Yesterday, a fellow teacher and I took our Honors Anatomy and Physiology classes to Atlanta to check out Bodies: the Exhibition and Dialog in the Dark. Both were really AWESOME exhibits, and I think the students really loved it. I loved it too.
Bodies: The Exhibition is exactly what it sounds like. Every system of the human body displayed. The specimens were REAL people preserved so that they don't decay, and they were very artfully presented. You can check it out here.


Dialog in the Dark may be one of the most interesting things that I've ever done. We were admitted in groups of 10 and given canes and taught how to use them. Then we were admitted to rooms with light boxes that you sit on while a nice lady spoke to us. As she talked, the lights started to dim... then went totally black. We then met our guide, Rory, who guided us through (in complete blackness) a park, a grocery store, crossing the street, getting on a boat, and going to a restaurant. It was difficult at first, but then you get a lot more comfortable and adjusted. It was an experience I won't forget, and I don't think the students will either. Speaking of my students, don't they look like a great bunch? I am very lucky that I get to see them every day!




2 comments:

grizaham said...

I've meant to see this show a couple of times but keep missing it. Looked fun!

The Skippers said...

That sounds really neat. I am sure the kids loved it.