Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I can't believe it's been three years.

George Folkerts

First day of our Field Biology of the Southern Appalachians class (3 week trip),
Summer of 2002

Three years ago today, George Folkerts left this earth. I still have a hard time grasping the fact that he will never lead me into another swamp or citronelle pond, will never play trivia (as Biobug) or make me put on a pair of smelly "wet shoes." I can't believe he'll never try to get me to smoke another Camel Light or give me another lecture about the "real world." I can't believe all of the things I've done and learned in my life that I never would have known or experienced thanks to him. I remember all the times he talked me into going out and socializing/playing pool when I should have been at home studying. His reasons were clear and understandable - he thought that young people should be young and live life to the fullest while they could. I remember how he knew teaching was my talent and pushed me into it. He counseled me through money crises, boyfriend troubles, school troubles, and everything a college student deals with. He taught me not to be afraid of the unknown. He taught me to appreciate the little things and to come to understand the "green blur." I listened to countless roadside lectures from George and learned SO very much. Thank you George. I still miss you.

2 comments:

The Skippers said...

I remember that day. Wish I could have met him. I also wish I could get a better look at that App. picture. Ha!

ml said...

I'm pretty sure my eyes are closed!