Wednesday, January 30, 2008

We Should Come With Filters.


When something big is happpening in your life, such as a wedding, a baby arriving, etc., people seem to love to give you unsolicited advice. I don't understand why that is. I am sure I am guilty of this too, but boy am I going to be conscious of it from now on. Today, someone looked at me and said "When did you say you were due?" and I said "August." Then they said, "You probably think you're showing, but you're not." Now, I know that this person was probably trying to say something nice, but it didn't come across that way to me! I definitely have a small "pooch" that was NOT there before, and not that there is anything wrong with that, but this person does NOT know me well enough to be commenting on whether or not I am showing. And they also don't know me enough to know what I look like not pregnant. Maybe I am all out of whack because of pregnancy hormones, but it got me thinking. Why do people think that you want their advice or their opinion?


Now it's not only advice, but people tell you their horror stories. Now this is something that I can't understand, because I promise, every possible scenario of things that can go wrong has run through my head many, many times. I know that things happen, but there isn't much you can do about them. The best thing for me is to do what the doctor says and try to think positively about things, and not have to be reminded every day that something can go wrong.


I think that if someone asks your advice, you should go for it and tell them the kindest, most honest truth that you can muster. Otherwise, you should keep your opinion to yourself.


I keep having to remind myself of a piece of advice my mom did give me. Let it go in one ear and out the other, and don't think about it, she said. So from now on, MY advice to anyone who is expecting a baby, planning a wedding, or doing anything that prompts people to give their unwanted opinion will be, "Do what YOU want to do, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks."


Now I can come down from my soapbox!

1 comment:

lg2006 said...

I TOTALLY agree with this Mere! I get TONS of unsolicited advice/comments on my weight which I find totally offensive.
Here Here sista!