Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A little more...

I wanted to tell everyone a little bit about my grandmother. My brother and cousin Mary Margaret spoke about her at the funeral. I am not quite as good with words as they are, but the things they said brought back a flood of memories.
Those of you who were lucky enough to meet MeeMaw know how spunky she could be! She always had an opinion about everything and if you wanted to know what she thought, all you had to do was ask her. But if you didn't really want an honest opinion, better not ask her! More recently you didn't have to ask her, she just told you!
I never realized growing up how very lucky I was to have my MeeMaw. I don't remember any event, no matter how unimportant it seemed, that she was not there for. Every holiday, every birthday, every dance recital, every graduation, every violin concert, band concert or competition, you name it, she was there. AND she had to travel from Birmingham to Gadsden for everything! I think she made each one of us feel like we were her favorite grandchild.
I always loved going to stay at her house. She would always make our favorite foods. She made pickles... they were so good but they made your breath smell for weeks! She and I would go up to Vulcan Park because I loved "the man with the popsicle" that would either be red or green. FYI- no popsicle any more, now he has a spear. Before we went, we would go by and get a Subway sandwich, then go eat at a picnic table at the park. Then she would take me around to look through all of the viewfinders and see Vulcan.
She would pay me $5 for every pound I would gain (she thought I was too skinny). She made stuffed artichokes, fried zucchini and cauliflower, and of course, the best spaghetti and meatballs! She used to make "bugs on a log" for me when I was little, have any of you ever had that? I will make it for Margaret Anne when she is older. I want so badly to be able to pass on the traditions that she started and kept going for so long. I remember her and my mom sitting at the kitchen table, talking about all of the people in the family and what they were up to. I would always get all of the Italian last names mixed up , but I loved listening to them talk. They could drink coffee and talk for what seemed like hours.
MeeMaw worked so hard all of her life. I don't ever remember a time, up until she was almost 92, that she didn't have at least one job. She is such an inspirational person. She never seemed to tire. She never made excuses. If something had to be done, she did it. When someone in her family was sick or hurting, she was by their side. Because to MeeMaw, that is just what family did.
MeeMaw has always been there to take care of all of us. She loved it. And, like my brother put it so beautifully in his speech, I think she will always be taking care of us.
I will miss you MeeMaw. Love you.

3 comments:

M. Congleton said...

Those are great memories Meredith...made me remember time with my Gran.

Susannah said...

Mere, this is such a sweet post! I loved doing a lot of those things when I was little in Bham too-good ole Vulcan! :D

The Skippers said...

That was great! What a great persone to learn from. You sound a lot like her.