Monday, August 25, 2008

Getting into the swing of things

Well, I finally have a moment to myself where the baby is asleep and I am able to think! Then past week has been a whirlwind of crying, feeding, changing diapers, and sleeping when we can. Margaret Anne is the most precious little baby... so worth those uncomfortable months it took to get her here! She looks so much like Hays and it is so sweet to see him with his little "mini-me!" He has been so helpful. When we have to get up during the night he swaddles and changes diapers, and I feed her. I definitely wouldn't be able to do this without his support. He understands my frustrations and doesn't think I am crazy when I get overwhelmed at night. They weren't kidding when they say your hormones have to level out!
Today was my first day taking care of her by myself while Hays is at work. My mom left on Saturday, and I didn't think I would be able to handle it. Somehow I managed to shower and get ready before noon, and I even got her to take a pacifier (she wanted nothing to do with one before), which is taking a lot of pressure off me today. I was trying to get ready and I had just fed her, and she kept making these sad little whimpering sounds, so I thought I would try the paci just one more time, and she took it! It kept her happy as a lark until her 1:30 feeding!
No one really tells you how HARD these first few weeks are. Don't get me wrong, they are wonderful, but hard all the same. You see that you need to feed the baby 8-12 times in 24 hours, but you don't reallize how often that is until you start doing it. I guess there is no way to prepare for that level of exhaustion, you just push through it and know that it will eventually get easier. We are trying to get her on a schedule, and while I know it is a little early for that, it makes us feel like we are helping ourselves stay sane!

3 comments:

Bre said...

Aww...so true! It is such a HUGE adjustment and I told you the first few weeks are SOOOOOO hard and anyone who disagrees is not telling the truth :) I am so glad she is doing well and we want to bring you guys dinner one night. PLEASE call me and let me know what night is best for you guys. Also, call if you need ANYTHING!! Nursing is hard and if you need any encouragement you know I will talk to you. It can feel very lonely and frustrating becuase you are only one who can feed her and I'm sure you feel like that is all you do, 2 hours goes by very fast :)

Mitzi said...

Can't wait to meet her-know you are both doing an awesome job!

lg2006 said...

I love your candor. Keep it up cause this is when it gets interesting for us non moms. I need all the info I can get! I agree with you that little MA looks just like her daddy! So precious.