Friday, February 13, 2009

A love letter

Margaret Anne, tomorrow you will be 6 months old. It is hard to believe that is has been half a year since you were born. I remember the first minute I was finally able to hold you, and I just stared at your little face and your tiny little hands and cheeks. I looked over at your daddy and he had tears in his eyes. I will never forget those first few days with you, as I realized that such a wonderful little creature had been inside me for 9 months, and everything else that seemed so important paled in comparison to you.
As we started our first 6 weeks together, I was terrified. I wasn't sure that I would be able to take care of you all by myself while Daddy was at work! There were lots of tears, from you, me, and even Daddy! But we all eventually figured each other out and began to settle into a routine. I had to take you to daycare, and that was SO hard, but Granvon loves on you every day and I know that you enjoy being there.
It has been the joy of my life to watch you grow from a tiny little creature to a beautiful six month old girl. Every new milestone has left Daddy and I laughing out loud. These days, you love to play in your jumparoo and lay on your playmat. You love to take off my glasses and Daddy's glasses. You can put your paci in your mouth, but unfortunately it is always the wrong end! You kick and splash in the bathtub, and open your mouth like a little baby bird while you are waiting on your next bite of food.
You LOVE to put things in you mouth. Especially my cell phone, your toes, your fist, my hair, any toy that you can get your hands on. Right now my favorite thing that you do is when you grab my face or handfuls of hair on each side of my face, and then you pull yourself toward me and try to put my whole face in your mouth, slobbering all over my cheek, nose, or chin. I like to think you are giving me your sweet baby kisses. You have definitely caused some pain a time or two. You also like to take one hand and hold your head with it when you are sleepy. It looks like you are saying "woe is me."
You love to fall asleep in someone's arms, and it is so wonderful to hold you while you sleep and kiss that perfect spot above your nose. I love it when you lift your arms for me to pick you up at the end of a day at Granvon's. You are such a happy baby! Everyone says that you are so laid back.
You have totally changed the way I look at life. No longer is it about me, and no longer do I try to control everything. You have shown me that God is very real, and He is very good, and I hope that you grow to have that understanding. I now understand the love that our heavenly father had for His son. It is so important to Daddy and me that you grow up loving Jesus, and we will tell you about Him often.
I am so lucky to have you as my daughter and to have had you in my life for these past six months. And while I can't wait for the next six, I know they will go by too fast.

Love,
Mama

4 comments:

lg2006 said...

Oh mere that was preciously sweet!

Bre said...

How sweet. Being a mommy is the best thing in the world. MA is blessed to have such loving parents. Hope to see you guys soon.

The Skippers said...

I can't believe that she is 6 months old. She is so lucky to have such awesome parents! I can't wait for the same feelings.

grizaham said...

I great idea to write letters to such a little lady at different times in her life! She will love to read those when she is older! I have thought about writing letters to myself.. I would love to hear what a 18 year old frosh Griza would have to say to the 30 year old griza... ;)