Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Winter...please leave. Thank you!!!!

Is anybody else sick of these 40 degree temperature changes from day to day? They have wreaked havoc on my sinuses and I have had enough. The last straw was Meredith waking me up at 2:00 a.m. this morning and telling me that the heat is "blowing cold air" and "smells like gas" (don't worry family members, the gas shuts off after a few seconds). I couldn't smell it, but Meredith has a superpowered sense of smell and can smell what we cooked 3 weeks ago for breakfast. To boot, I woke up to my throat killing me. I liken the winter sore throat to someone holding an acetylene torch to your mouth and keeping it there for a few seconds. Just miserable, and you know when you go to sleep it will only get worse from catching flies. SO, instead of focusing on the massive amount of work I needed to be doing since I missed 3 days last week, I got to meet the Alagasco man at the house at 9:30, only to have him tell me that i needed to call an HVAC company to fix a part on the unit. Luckily, my neighbor across the street does...HVAC work! We got the repair part (which was an igniter, or "glow plug"), and got home to a toasty house. Wandering the house in your boxers at 5:30 am isn't the same when it's 55 degrees in here. My neighbors are also thankful for our blinds :). I have to just come to terms that I am not built for cold weather. Also, I read somewhere that Birmingham is under a "wind chill warning", which I didn't know existed. But on the brighter side, I talk daily to our Home Office employees in warm, sunny Minneapolis, MN, and they can barely walk outside without a full body suit made of elk skins. I actually had somebody tell me yesterday that it was "shorts weather". The temperature...a seasonable 32 degrees! Here I am complaining about no heat for 12 hours and there are people in the eastern United States who will be without power until mid-February. I have to think about those less fortunate when I have a moment of frustration. It's all relative. When you see these catastrophic events on the news, do you ever just wish you could leave in that instant, without worrying about jobs, bills, responsibilities, etc., and help? I can't imagine what it would be like to be stranded without food, power, water, shelter, and so on. I'm sure there would be moments that would be extreme testers of one's faith. If we truly believe that the Lord will deliver us then there should be no reason to worry, but in that moment of despair could you really keep your wits knowing only that? When I think about my daily worries and anxieties, they pale in comparison to so much of the world around me that it makes me feel selfish. I have a terrific family and a terrific job. I am relatively healthy, with the exception of migraine headaches, anxiety attacks, and the occasional cold. As individuals with somewhat favorable circumstances surrounding us, what do we do to help those less fortunate? What is our outreach? What are we called to do? I struggle with these thoughts daily, and hope that I am able to use my life to make a positive impact on those around me. God knows, it is too easy to be complacent.

See, this is what happens when you let ADD get the best of you!!! The human mind is an awfully big place to wander around...I'm not re-reading that because I'd probably delete it. I hope you enjoy a few seconds in my thoughts!

P.S.- Tomorrow is National Signing Day!!! I am pumped to see who Auburn gets to sign on the dotted line! Most of you readers probably couldn't care less about this

1 comment:

lg2006 said...

That made me LAUGH OUT LOUD when you talked about MERE smelling things b.c I am the same way and it drives erik nuts. He makes fun of me on the regular about this.