Tuesday, June 3, 2008

What is the 4th Dimension anyway?


I got the exciting news that Meredith scheduled a 4-D ultrasound for Friday! But I have to ask, what is the 4th dimension? Time? Sound? I can buy into the whole 3-D concept (length, width, height), but 4? I have my doubts. Maybe it's because on a 4-D ultrasound you can see what the baby looks like, facial features and all, so it is considered "looking into the future". That's a stretch though. On Monday night, we attended our first or four "Preparing for Parenthood" class at St.Vincent's, and it was about as expected. No surprises, except some of the women in the video, which I will not discuss in this medium or any other for that matter. I did learn alot about how the actual labor process works, which made me more appreciative of what Meredith has to go through (love you)! We both left with a renewed confirmation that an epidural was without question in our "birthplan". Actually, we don't have a birthplan, except for Meredith getting an epidural. To me, the highlight of the class was when we were supposed to name out loud one characteristic that we wanted to have. Meredith offered a suggestion to me, which I approved because i thought it would get a laugh, and I'll do anything for a laugh. So people began saying really generic, safe answers like "I hope (s)he is athletic", or I hope (s)he is intelligent. Meredith then said, "I hope she has Hays's nose!", which of course resulted in a room full of laughter. Strategically placed humor is one of the joys of my life, which explains my love of shows like The Office and Family Guy. I was told that we will get to keep a DVD of the 4-D ultrasound, so I may attempt to post it here if I can figure out how. I'm just now figuring out this "internet" thing, so no promises.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

I definitely had to look that one up when we had a 4D ultrasound (and I'm sure you've looked it up already) but it's time. So, you see live movement of the baby, which is totally weird but definitely worthwhile. Have fun!

Bre said...

I hope you guys have better luck than I did with both of mine :)

The Bucklers said...

I guess the 4D is today ~ such fun!! I cant remember what the 4th dimension is (bad mommy! time, maybe?), but I do know that when both of my girls were born, I already knew what they looked like because the 4D is so accurate. I hope little Margaret Anne cooperates so yall get a good shot! :) You will continue to enjoy the DVD.... Have fun!