Monday, April 21, 2008

A Reunion of Sorts







This past weekend officially kicked off Wedding Season 2008 for us. My friend Ellen E. from high school got married on Saturday, and I was very much looking forward to this weekend because I knew lots of my old friends would be there! Friday night Meredith and I had dinner with Scott S., Stephanie M., and Will C. at Jackson's and it was VERY fun and hilarious. I thought back on it, and the highlight of the conversation had to be Will telling stories about his grandmother, who they lovingly refer to as "Dragon"! To give some history, Will's uncle called her "the old grey duck" one time (evidently, she has grey hair and is short, but I still didn't connect the "duck" reference), and she did not approve of that name, so he suggested "Dragon". I believe this name emphasized her fiery personality and spirit, so she immediately took a liking to it and has answered to "Dragon" ever since. Most grandmothers prefer a more endearing name like Nana or Grammy or Memaw, but I get the impression that Dragon is a non-conformist. So you now have a clear image of why I enjoyed dinner so much! There was also talk of Stallone movies and past Halloween costumes, so who wouldn't have had fun? After dinner we trucked over to Fox & Hound for a post-rehearsal dinner cocktail party, which I guess marked the beginning of the reunion. As soon as I walked in, I saw a friend from school I hadn't seen since my sophomore year of college or so. It is amazing how much time passes but it seems like you just saw them. The party was fun, but Meredith and I were both looking forward to sleeping in, so we headed home at a decent hour (for perspective purposes, a decent hour to us is 11:00, and no, Meredith did not drink at the party!). On Saturday I spent most of the day working in the yard, and my grandparents even stopped by to impart some of their horticultural wisdom on me, because I need all the lawn and garden care advice I can get. Thanks Gma and Gdad! Meredith supervised my work from her lawn chair and towel in the middle of the yard. Ellen's wedding was held at Briarwood Pres, which is gigantic, and I thought the music was superb! Our friend Elizabeth P. sang "Pie, Jesu" and "Amazing Grace", and both were phenomenal! Props to Elizabeth for the tunes. The reception was held at The Club, and the band was great! I think it was the Tip Tops. Also, the wedding cake was the best I've ever had. I'm not sure where it was from, but I am willing to crash wedding receptions to search for a better cake. At the end of the reception, Meredith coaxed me into going home so I would get up and go to church, and in hindsight that was a good move. It was great seeing old friends at the wedding, and it was fun catching up! Here are some pictures from the weekend!

5 comments:

lg2006 said...

hi to scott! Great pics esp of you 2!

ml said...

I had a great time! It was good to see everyone. I can't wait until the HA reunion!

Marianna said...

aww, look at all those dothanites! I miss all you guys!

grizaham said...

Looking good you two. Laura and I kick off wedding season next weekend.. Good times and War Eagle.

Our Family said...

looks like ya'll had a great time! Congratulations on your baby on board! Your little girl is going to make you melt! enjoy keeping up with you!
Ana

Meredith- I am Scott's sister. I do not think that we have ever officially met. Hope you are feeling well. I miss the days of being pregnant. it is an amazing experiene