Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Good Times



Doesn't this guy look like someone just dug him out from under a tree stump??? Ray LaMontagne was terrific! Meredith and I had dinner with friends at 26, which is a cool retro-stlye restaurant beside Ocean, and is owned by the same family. I won't tell you what we had because you'd have to wipe drool from your keyboard! I knew that the tickets i had bought were in the balcony, but what I didn't realize is that we were on the.very.last.row. Seriously, the wall was behind us!!! Not to worry, there isn't a bad seat in the house, and we enjoyed the birds-eye view. I tried not to get my hopes up about what I REALLY wanted to hear, but in the back of my mind I was thinking I'd be disappointed if I didn't hear this or that. Much to my delight, he played some of my favorites in the first 5 or 6 songs. I was mentally prepared for the opener to be upbeat and a bit of a rocker, but he walked out, just him, a guitar, and a harmonica, and played probably one of his slowest, gentlest songs. I won't give the song-by-song review (even though I coul), but overall I give it an A. He has to start over one verse into his second song due to the fact that he wasn't happy with the tuning of his guitar, and rather than being frazzled by that, he was actually very funny about it, and jokingly made the comment to his setup man, "You're _______ fired". No need to guess what he said there. Earmuffs! For such a seemingly reclusive guy, he had a great stage presence and had the crowd mesmerized the whole time. But WHY is there always that one fool in the crowd that screams unnecessarily during EVERY quiet moment. At the end, he actually screamed "'Dega baby!", which prompted everyone around him to almost jump him. Completely unnecessary, and I wonder why these people even go. There is definite concert ettiquette that must be followed, and drunken screaming is NOT an approved behavior. Meredith and I had a wonderful time, and I have such a blast when we can do things together that we will always remember, even if we were missing that baby!

1 comment:

lg2006 said...

SOOO true about the etiquette. I got super pissed at Dave/Mraz b.c. of all the drunk idiots, fighting, spilling drinks on us, standing in the stairwell (which blocked our view) Rah.. if you dont actually want to see/hear the show... WHY go at all?
Glad you guys had fun!