Thursday, April 2, 2009

Oh, what a day.

Is it bad that its early in the morning and I am already saying this? I am frustrated beyond belief and I wish that it wasn't so! Besides all of the calling of parents that I had to do because their children are failing my class, I also am frustrated because some people just don't take their jobs seriously around here! I feel like we are teaching these kids a lot more than whatever our content area is, and if we are not all consistent with enforcing the rules, how can we expect these teenagers to understand that they are in place for a reason? Things are so different than when I was in high school. Now we are battling iPods, texting, etc. Kids have multiple ways to cheat on tests. Now they all have to wear ID's so that we know that they belong here. It is not easy. But the more consistent we ALL are, the easier it could be. I feel like I am fighting a losing battle sometimes, and I hate that so much of my energy goes into enforcing the rules. But they are important and are ultimately in place to make all of our lives better and easier. So why can't some people understand that and see the bigger picture? Are they trying to be "cool" with their students? Who knows. My students may not love me now, but when they get older they will understand. And my job isn't to be their friend, it is to help them prepare for the life that we all know is MUCH bigger than high school!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I am right there with you! I am a high school teacher too (grades 9-12 business technology). We aren't to the point of IDs for students yet, but the iPods and cell phones...constantly. And like you, we have some who don't do their jobs, act buddy-buddy with the students, etc. It's very frustrating to those of us who are rule-followers! Hang in there! When is your spring break? Ours is this week, and if we had had to wait much longer, I don't think I'd have made it! Please visit my blog sometime...I've just started it and need readers!

Marcia said...

Hey Meredith. I know what you mean. My mom has been a teacher for nearly 40 years and I experience the problems of good teachers through her. Someone close to me is a cool-at-all-costs teacher. She is even very cliqueish (sp?) (complete with gossiping about other teachers and even some of the not so cool students). It makes me so sad that she has that influence on her students and her own children. But I'm happy that I'm not the only one who gets angry about it.

lg2006 said...

I could never ever be a teacher without serious sedation! I think its an incredibly hard job, that not only involves teaching like the old day sbut now also parenting, and its sad and you guys need to be paid 3x what you get now until parents want to step up and return to their role (of parenting)
sucks your teachy friends cant all be on the same page!

Unknown said...

Keep doing the right thing, and the rest will work itself out. Lead by example! The right way is rarely the easiest. I love you!!

grizaham said...

Yeah i could not imagine dealing with kids today. I bet that is what every 30 something year old has ever said since the dawn of time but seriously kids today are NASTY and dangerous.. Guess they are the new untouchables. Them and illegal aliens.