Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Goin' Solo

This week, Meredith is in Auburn with her danceline for their camp/competition, so that has left yours truly on baby patrol from yesterday morning until Thursday afternoon when she returns! I think it has been much harder for Meredith to be away than for me to keep MA by myself. I was a little nervous about this due to the fact that MA is teething, but she has been unbelievably good. Or either she is a terror at daycare all day and hits the happy switch when I pick her up (which I doubt). The hard part has been leaving the house at 6:30 so I can get to work by 7:30, then leaving in time to pick her up. Did I mention that daycare is 30 minutes away?? Which is usually super convenient beacuse it's 5 minutes from where Meredith works, but for me...30 minutes minimum. Good thing I like talk radio! When we get home, its usually almost 6:00 so its mealtime, bathtime, playtime, then bedtime. I think the best moment of my day is right after she's finished her bedtime bottle, and she just wants to lay with her head on my shoulder and rock for a minute or two. That just seems to melt the stress away more than anything else I can do! I always wondered what it would be like to be a dad. I was never anxious about whether or not I'd be a good dad; it was more just wondering how I'd handle those moments when I just wanted to dive out our upstairs window from exhaustion! When you see other babies, it is hard to remember that your child was that SMALL just a few months ago. I guess when you see them everyday, you son't notice the incremental changes, until you say, "Wait, these PJs fit last week!!". It is quite the phenomenon.

SO, my message is: so far, so good. Of course, as soon as I say that, tonight will be a long night, but the good ones more than make up for it :).

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Awwww...good luck! I don't think I've kept Sipsey for that long by myself! I always call my mom to come help me! You are brave.

It's so weird how you don't remember how small they used to be. I have to ask people how old their babies are b/c I have NO idea, even though Sipsey was that same age just a few months ago!

lg2006 said...

cuteness! I have been wondering what you guys have been up to!
Take some pictures of you 2

The Bucklers said...

Precious post!! And oh, so true!! Hope you had fun Daddy-Daughter time. You will always remember your first few days flying solo! :)