Thursday, June 4, 2009

Its got to go...


Ok, several of you out there might not share my opinion on this, but I am going to open it up for discussion anyway. We are trying to help Margaret Anne kick her paci habit. So far I can't get her to put anything in her mouth except that dang pacifier. She won't feed herself or drink out of her sippy cup unless I am holding it. I think it somehow must be tied to the fact that she always has a paci to stick in there instead.
So the past few days I have been only giving her the paci when she is in her crib. I am hoping she will eventually get used to not having it, and she has been doing pretty good with it. I have no idea how I am going to get her to sleep without it, but baby steps, right?
My next question is, does anyone have any tips for getting her to self feed? She will eat little finger foods like puffs and yogurt melts, but she wont put them in her mouth herself. Suggestions?

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Can't help you on the paci. Sipsey refused to ever take one, which sucked at the time, but now I guess I should be happy?

Ok I just looked at our blog to figure out when Sipsey started eating Puffs herself. It was around 8 months, but don't rush MA! She'll do it when she's ready. Sipsey might've eaten Puffs at 8 months but she did a lot of stuff really late! MA will do it when she's ready!

Danielle and Ladd said...

This is a related topic that might help - a story very near and dear to my heart. When I was 4 years old my parents couldn't get me to stop sucking my thumb. Therefore, the two decided to devise a scheme that would change my life forever. They took me on a family boat ride down at the beach to one of the islands just inside Perdido pass to hang out on the beach for the day. Around mid-day they decided to take me on a walk towards an area where heaps of seagulls generally stand waiting for any loose breach crumbs or rogue cheese curl. In this area there was a particularly large amount of seagull excrement. They proceeded to take my thumbs and rub them in seagull crap, followed by an explanation that seagull crap can never be washed off. Believing that my parents would never lie, I never sucked my thumbs again. I'm not sure this story is relevant to MA; however, I thought it was worth sharing - maybe I'm just using this opportunity as a sounding board for a deeper set of issues still plaguing my mind. Anyway, I hope it helps. - Ladd

Anna said...

when you figure it out, be sure to take notes so you can tell me how to do it in a few months!!

aedozier said...

Hey Meredith! Hayes and I grew up together. My name is Allyson Etheredge Dozier. I have a two year old that is still obsessed with the paci, so I won't give advice on taking it away. I will give you advice on the self feeding. Just give her time. I always gave Mary McKinnon a spoon and just let her make a mess. (We do bath time right after dinner). Eventually she got it. Just keep giving her a spoon and you use one to show her. Just encourage her and don't worry about the mess. She'll get it in no time. She is a beautiful little girl!