Friday, February 15, 2008

My Valentine

Yesterday, as I am sure everyone was blissfully aware of, was Valentine's day. I had a great one. Sweet Hays left me a surprise card in my purse, sent me flowers to school, and set up a lovely candlelight dinner of takeout Italian food last night. I was so content when it was all over, I fell asleep on the couch. What time did I fall asleep, you ask? 7:30. Hays says it was more like 7:28. Whatever. I sure was happy when I fell asleep, and that is really all that matters.

Some of you that are Hays' friends may think he sold out to the "Hallmark Holiday" as he calls it, but that's fine. The first year we were together, I got nothing. NOTHING. I searched stores and racked my brain to come up with a thoughtful, inexpensive gift for Hays our first Valentine's Day together. He had just moved to Nashville to a new apartment, so I bought him a coffeepot (he loves coffee), a travel mug (so he could make it at home and take it instead of spending $3 at Starbucks every day), and a framed photo of us on our first date. My roommates visited their respective boyfriends in Nashville and came back with lovely, thoughtful presents. "What did you get?" they asked. My reply: "NOTHING." I was so sad. I was convinced that because of this, history was repeating itself and I was in another dead-end relationship. I was unloved, uncared for, unworthy, etc. I told Hays how I felt (selfishly, yes I KNOW) and found out that it was all he could do to pay for the gas to meet me between Nashville and Auburn. He was broke, due to the sad trap of a job he had fallen into. Boy, did I feel stupid. I really did enjoy seeing him that weekend, and that is what should have mattered. Now I appreciate the "little things," and even though I was so selfish, Hays is STILL nice enough to send me flowers at work to brighten my day and go the extra mile to make that day special. I like to think I overacheived in the husband finding category.

2 comments:

stewdog said...

Hays, total props on the nothing Valentine! If you could ever repeat that you would go down in history! Actually, no need, that´s amazing! Congrats

lg2006 said...

LOL well I think you guys are perfectly matched and am proud that Hays stepped it up a notch this year... Next time you skip Valentimes hazer I will smash you over the head!