Friday, February 8, 2008

Sandi


I want to give everyone an update on my sister-in-law. Some of you may not know, but about 3 and a half years ago, when Alan and Sandi were in Indianapolis, Sandi was diagnosed with breast cancer. She was 30 years old. She had chemo and surgery, and we all thought it was gone. Well, almost a year after they moved to Dothan, we found out that it was back again, but this time it was stage IV, metastatic. We were all very scared to head down the treatment road again, but Sandi was a trooper. She even shaved her hair into a mowhawk when her hair started falling out, which was hilarious and it actually looked good, I can't imagine a mowhawk looking that good on anyone else! She is doing very well now. Her scans show that much of it is gone and she looks better every time she has a scan!

I just wanted to mention this because I am very lucky to have Sandi in my life. She and I are very close to be "in-laws." I put it in quotes because I don't like using the term, she is my sister! She has been there for me through so many different situations, good and bad, and she always tells me the truth, not just necessarily what she thinks that I want to hear.

I think Sandi is the bravest, most beautiful person that I know. She never hesitated (that I saw) to have any of her surgeries or treatments, she just did whatever she had to do to get on with her life! I can't even imagine how I would be in the same situation, but I know that I wouldn't be able to handle it with a fraction of the grace and dignity that she has. I should have known she was so brave, she married Alan!

Please remember to keep Sandi in your prayers!

8 comments:

Marianna said...

Hi, I'm a friend of Hays from College and I'm so glad to have found you guy's blog. It's such a great way to reach out...especially for prayers. Congrats on the pregnancy!

Anonymous said...

I love you sister!!!(Sandi)

Sandi said...

I love you too sister! (and brother!) I am only strong because you were with me all of the way!

milamrl said...

hey girl! I love your blog and I'm bookmarking it today. Congratulations again on the baby on the way and i love you, girl! love, rach

Anonymous said...

Thats great to hear. I hope she continues to do well

The Bucklers said...

What a beautiful, sweet post! You are lucky to have Sandi, and she is equally as lucky to have you. We will keep her ~ and all of you ~ in our prayers.

The Skippers said...

I love Sandi! She is an inspiration! Not to mention she is really cool:)

lg2006 said...

I am so glad to have a face to put with the name! Yes we shall pray for her strength!